Corporate Giving & Community Support
At Husco, our shared values of honesty, integrity, and respect are the foundation of how we treat our teammates and our customers — they are also central to our community outreach and philanthropic efforts. We strive to give back to the communities we are part of, on both local and global levels.
Husco Philanthropy Statement:
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is a concept that is receiving a lot of attention these days. The basic idea is that companies have a responsibility to engage in actions that further social good, beyond simply maximizing profits and following the law. Many companies (especially large, public ones) invest significant resources to plan, execute and publicize their CSR programs. These investments often stem from profit-maximizing motivations (boosting employee engagement, improving government relations or building brand equity).
Husco firmly believes in supporting its surrounding communities through various methods including providing financial assistance to a large and diverse group of nonprofits. Husco had made several unique philanthropic contributions that have provided significant impact in our community and around the world. One example is the $2 million investment made to establish a Fluid Power Chair at Georgia Tech. This investment led to a $25 million government grant and changed the face of hydraulic research & development in the U.S.
Husco believes that financial support is only one component of its local community investment plan. Service through leadership positions in the nonprofit sector is an explicit expectation of every Husco executive. 14 Husco executives sit on a total of 27 nonprofit boards or advisory committees, including the United Way in Waukesha County, YMCA of Waukesha, Family Services of Waukesha, Waukesha Manufacturing Alliance, Waukesha County Technical College, Waukesha Workforce Development Board, GPS Partners for Education and the Waukesha County Business Alliance.
What is unique about Husco is the Ramirez Family commitment to investing a significant portion of Husco’s profits in charitable endeavors. To give you a point of reference, total corporate philanthropy in the United States represents less than 1% of pretax profits. Husco’s goal is to contribute a minimum of 10% of pretax profits each year. We often contribute significantly more than this, resulting in years like 2016 & 2017 when Husco donated more to Wisconsin charities than any other business, including very large enterprises like Johnson Controls and Northwestern Mutual.
Another way that Husco is unique is the way that we focus giving. Although we support many different organizations, over 95% of what we donate is focused on K-12 education worldwide. Our investment in St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is our single largest investment, but we also provide significant donations to colleges and universities along with scholarships for exceptional minority students and the children of Husco employees. Highlights from Husco’s 2018 charitable contributions are:
- Total donations of $9.5M.
- Augustine Preparatory Academy in Milwaukee was, by far, the largest beneficiary with over $4.3M.
- Husco donated over $126,000 in matching funds alongside global employee contributions to the United Way, disaster relief, and 19 other nonprofit agencies.
- In China, the team donated and installed bookcases at local primary schools to promote education and participated in a 5K run/walk for a local breast cancer charity.
- In India, Husco provided financial and volunteering support to several local schools and helped construct a recreational facility.
- In the UK, Husco coordinated an off-road buggy STEM project with a local school and sponsored the local football team.
- Husco continues to provide approximately 100 scholarships for Milwaukee area students and children of employees.
- In total, Husco supported more than 100 unique charitable organizations.