Supplier Development Engineer
This position is located in Waukesha, WI
Husco provides individuals the opportunity to pursue a career within a fast-paced, industry leading and entrepreneurial organization. Supplier Development Engineers design and implement a variety of quality control and/or inspection systems, procedures, equipment, testing, or techniques with the Husco supply base to ensure production accuracy and product quality meets or exceeds customer requirements. A Supplier Development Engineer reviews the requirements, hard and soft, in the design, the assembly and the manufacture at the supplier to make certain that long term capability can be established and sustained. A successful Supplier Development Engineer is self-motivated and a natural trouble-shooter who can react quickly under pressure and prioritize and manage several tasks concurrently.
Husco is committed to building an environment for employees to be able:
- To have the flexibility of their own work and put a personal ‘stamp’ on their output
- Continuously expand and develop their professional talents, skills, and knowledge
- Create a product for our customers that serves a greater purpose to communities around the world
- New Product Introductions (NPI) and Launches: Work to effectively introduce new programs to the external customer with minimal customer issues. Take a leading role in new program development activities through active involvement in Design and Process FMEA’s. Lead DPAR meetings for supplied parts (components and assemblies) in New Product Introductions; resolve all issues stemming from DPAR discussions. Assure all PPAPs are completed by suppliers and that reviews of the PPAP documentation is accurate, comprehensive, completed, approved, and filed.
- Develop Global Supply Base: Work in close collaboration with Purchasing, Engineering to develop global supply base with emphasis on achieving target quality level at or below expected cost. Complete new supplier systems audits along with current supplier process and systems audits. Effective development and management “probationary” suppliers. Codify and share process best practices internally and between suppliers as appropriate. Ensure smooth technology transfer between suppliers of equal standing to the benefit of Husco. Identify & support internal and customer cost reduction activities (REAP/ PPV), including communicating any key risks in terms of capacity.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams: Work closely with engineering team to review the part/assembly related manufacture requirements from the conceptual stage to mature production, ensuring that designs are modified where necessary and that costs are managed effectively.
- Post-NPI Support: Maintain active involvement in post-NPI activities until NPI concerns are resolved in manufacturing; in parallel, mentor plant Supplier Quality Engineer in assuring a smooth transition of knowledge and documentation.
- Execute and Communicate Non-Conformances (NCRs): Identify, understand and communicate non-conformances per the NCR process. Complete root cause analysis in combination with supplier to ensure issues and extent of condition are addressed and resolved. Communicate supplier containment and certification of replacement parts. Ensure corrective action has been completed and is effective for root cause problem resolution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline with Quality emphasis, or equivalent education required
- Range of desired knowledge may include hydraulic valves, iron castings, machining operations, electrical components, and metal fabrication; good knowledge of factory-related processes is desired; Two (2) years of experience in a manufacturing environment, preferred
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing and related inspection practices
- Exhibit good judgment, common sense, leadership and decision-making skills and abilities
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple and varied tasks that contribute directly to the work
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all functional areas
- Effective trouble shooting, problem-solving and organizational skills preferred, including 8D methodology
- Experience in performing quality system audits is preferable; Lead Auditor certified is a plus
- Travel up to 40%, domestic and international; must have valid driver’s license for inter-plant travel and current passport for international
- Authorized to work in the United States
(HUSCO IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER)