Manufacturing & Controls Engineer
Husco provides individuals the opportunity to pursue a career within a fast-paced, industry leading and entrepreneurial organization. The Manufacturing & Controls Engineer II is responsible for technical support for large scale projects – typically, new product lines, development and/or implementation of new manufacturing technology in support of new product lines or major improvements in existing product lines with a focus on software, process and machine controls, data acquisition and analytics, and Industry 4.0 methodologies.
This role actively supports and/or implements continuous improvement philosophies and techniques and participates in the training and development of training materials for the equipment and processes they are responsible for.
The key to success in this position is problem solving and utilizing technical knowledge to get to the root cause of a problem rather than simply identifying symptoms using a collaborative teamwork approach. A successful Manufacturing & Controls Engineer II is self-motivated and a natural trouble-shooter who can react quickly under pressure, prioritize workload, and manage several tasks concurrently.
- Support New Product Development. Create and develop manufacturing system concepts to fulfill business needs. Work with design engineers and production to quote, specify, order, debug, receive, install, and runoff new production equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, assembly stations, work cells, test stations, material handling equipment, and packaging for new products/new processes. Be able to write and edit labview programs. Integrate new or replacement hardware into the labview code (e.g. Data Acq, cameras). Work with the IT department and SQL databases to integrate process data collection. Support the new product development process through PFMEA, DFM, and CAPP activities to ensure safety, quality, delivery, and cost targets are met. Document procedures, processes, and best practices to support the new equipment.
- Maximize Operations Production and Efficiency. Maintain the current systems and equipment through analysis, troubleshooting and improvement. Perform the work needed to maximize production and efficiency. Implement/modify manufacturing processes to fulfill business needs. Work with production employees to continually improve production operations, system maintenance and design concepts through coaching, equipment design/modification/selection, training, and participation in PPI activities. Communicate and assist the manufacturing aspects of the current production operations. Assign and/or perform the work needed to maximize production and efficiency. May supervise Engineering Technicians and ME Interns.
- Upgrade Material and Equipment. Work with advanced engineering and equipment suppliers to determine designs and configurations for new equipment and upgrades in conformance with company specifications and quality standards. Preparation of financial analysis for capital expenditures for tooling and equipment needed in support of existing product lines or processes. Monitor and control all phases of new equipment construction from design approval through implementation on factory floor and control equipment costs during this process.
- Demonstrate Project Management and Technical Expertise. Demonstrate your technical expertise in project management including, but not limited to; scheduling, tracking, team assignments, allocation of resources, status reports, facilitate effective problem solving, “selling” of new and innovative concepts. Technical resource for specific manufacturing methods and/or philosophies. Contribute significant technical support for large scale projects and existing manufacturing operations.
- Collaborate with Other Departments. Interface between Design and Production to ensure designs are acceptable for manufacturing, equipment is designed in accordance with the designs presented and the equipment will work with the equipment we currently have. Work with peers and other support personnel with specifics to training on production equipment, problem solving, and preventive maintenance.
- Strong Team Player and Contributor. Able to work well with colleagues and produce results within a fast-paced and high pressure atmosphere. Combine strong attention to detail with an orientation towards results/execution.
- B.Eng in Manufacturing or related Engineering required.
- Relevant experience working in a production environment.
- Proficiency in philosophy and techniques of several of the following: cellular manufacturing, self-directed work teams, problem solving, 5S, pull systems, mistake proofing, SMED, Kaizen, change management, ergonomics, TQM, learning organizations.
- Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control techniques.
- Proficiency of electrical and mechanical machining equipment, is able to read blueprints, wiring diagrams, and schematics, and is capable of setting up and monitoring preventive maintenance systems. Also capable of troubleshooting and performing minor repairs to equipment.
- Effective problem solving, judgment, and independent thinking skills for troubleshooting, repair, and recognition of acceptable or unacceptable product quality.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with other functional areas as follows: Quality Assurance, Design Engineering, Purchasing and Inventory Control, Scheduling, and Shipping/Receiving.
- Able to handle frequent interruptions, meet tight deadlines, and handle conflict in an effective manner.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Experience in PLC programming i.e. Allen Bradley , Siemens, Modicon, Mitsubishi is advantageous