Cost Accounting Manager
This position is located in Waukesha, WI
Husco provides individuals the opportunity to pursue a career within a fast-paced, industry leading and entrepreneurial organization. The Manager of Cost Accounting is responsible for the cost accounting function including product costing, variance analysis, customer margin analysis, cost per hour calculations and analysis, product line profitability analysis and various key manufacturing productivity reports. They play an active role in the organization offering financial advisory services based on current and potential business transactions. A successful Manager of Cost Accounting is strongly analytical, self-motivated, has a team oriented work ethic, and is organized.
Husco is committed to building an environment for employees to be able:
- To have the flexibility of their own work and put a personal ‘stamp’ on their output
- Continuously expand and develop their professional talents, skills, and knowledge
- Create a product for our customers that serves a greater purpose to communities around the world
- Ensure Accuracy and Integrity of Cost Sets: Maintain relevant standard item costs including appropriate burden allocation among factories, departments and product lines. Make decisions ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the standard and current cost sets and initiate the recalculation of item costs as required. Manage the process of performing the annual cost roll, (the internal audit of annual physical inventory,) and the annual audit of Husco financial statements.
- Oversee the Production of Manufacturing Reports: Ensure that weekly manufacturing key indicator reports, monthly manufacturing department expense statements, and the monthly manufacturing summary reports are updated and distributed. Review and ensure distribution of monthly Cost of Quality report, including appropriate identification and communication of root causes. Create and maintain reports specific to the Cost Accounting department. Actively involved with and responsible for managing monthly cost accounting close process, completion of account reconciliations and issuance of key performance indicator reports. Maintains Inter-company transfer pricing schedules based on standard cost plus mark up.
- Investigate Manufacturing Variances: Analysis of manufacturing variances including purchase price variances, work order variances, inventory adjustments, scrap expenses, burden and absorption variances. Investigate variances of significance.
- Expert in Costing: An expert in the details of the costing system at Husco. Advise other departments on any cost accounting questions or issues as required. Prepare the annual budget and operating plan for all manufacturing segments of the business.
- Manage Key Cost Reserves: Maintain analysis of obsolete inventory, warranty, and lower of cost or market reserves and reserve requirements. Work with operations, purchasing, sales and engineering to understand exposures. Prepare audit work papers related to these reserves.
- Coordinate Costing Information Across the Organization: Works closely with personnel in several functional departments including operations, purchasing, quality, sales and engineering. Interacts with accounting personnel at Husco’s international facilities. Works with sales, purchasing and engineering to develop or review accurate new product cost estimates.
- Support Planning Activities: Drives preparation of annual financial and operating plan and monthly forecasts for sales, standard cost of sales, manufacturing variances, manufacturing overhead expenses and absorption.
- Oversee Fixed Assets: Responsible for the timely and accurate management of Husco fixed assets, including proper capitalization versus expense. Maintain the CEA form and oversee the work of the cost accountant in determining useful lives, disposals, and property tax filings.
- Supervise and Develop Employees: Demonstrates core cultural competencies to subordinates. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments. Hires the best people from inside or outside. Assembles talented staffs. Broadly shares both responsibility and accountability. Lets employees finish their own work and trusts people to perform. Improves performance and abilities of subordinates through training, counseling, disciplining and responding to employee ideas and concerns. Is aware of each subordinate’s career goals. Brings out the best in people and is an effective people builder.
- Strong Team Player and Contributor: Able to work well with colleagues and produce results within a fast-paced and high pressure atmosphere. Combines strong attention to detail with an orientation towards results/execution.
Expectations include preparing and analyzing the profit and loss statement through Manufacturing Profit, being the organization expert on IFS costing system, overseeing the preparation and reconciliation of all significant accruals related to the manufacturing process, partnering with Operations to get them meaningful and actionable information, and leading the manufacturing aspects of the Profit Plan and Forecasts. Oversee all aspects of cost accounting operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- A minimum of seven (7) years accounting experience in a manufacturing environment including knowledge of product costing systems and manufacturing performance measurement.
- CPA and/or CMA highly desirable.
- MBA or completed course work at the graduate school level and experience in a public accounting firm a plus.
- Prior experience managing personnel preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of US GAAP and manufacturing cost accounting methods.
- Project management skills required.
- Ability to make reasonable assumptions and recommendations when not all facts are known.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Experience with the IFS ERP system a plus.
- Ability to professionally and effectively interact and communicate (both oral and written) with people at all levels of responsibility within the organization.
- Ability to work with and maintain information on a confidential basis.
- Speed and accuracy in data entry, with the ability to review / audit own work and the work of others.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while completing assigned workload on a timely basis.
- (Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.)
- (Authorized to work in the United States.)
(HUSCO IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.)